There are many innovative and creative reforestation projects in the world, that are looking to support multiple levels of both human and ecological healing simultaneously. As such, we seek to partner with exemplary initiatives that fit our reforestation strategy.
To achieve the environmental goals set in our reforestation strategy, we pay particular attention to the following projects:
- Forest restoration in the vicinity of Intact Forest Landscapes or protected areas (green belt, buffer zones, forest corridors within fragmented forest ecosystems), in Tropical and subtropical moist broadleaf forests, Tropical and subtropical dry broadleaf forests, Tropical and subtropical coniferous forests, as well as Mangroves.
- Conservation of Intact Forest Landscapes (types as above).
- Emergency tree planting (when appropriate) and/or re-greening with assisted natural regeneration, restoring productivity by adding trees (agroforestry, tree planting on farms, framework planting), in Tropical and subtropical dry broadleaf forests, Tropical and subtropical grasslands, savannas and shrublands and deserts and xeric shrublands ecoregions, that are at risks of deforestation, land degradation and desertification.
To achieve the socio-economic goals set in our strategy, we are particularly interested in projects that:
- Benefit the nearby communities.
- For instance, the projects that utilize agro-forestry to bring intercropping and tree husbandry into agriculture (oil, nuts, pepper, etc).
- Lower vulnerability to climate variability (floods, storm surge, landslide exposure).
- Improve surrounding activities or small-scale forest use. For instance, fishing, gathering (honey, medicinal plants), hunting, agricultural production, water quality, customary activities).
- Integrate the communities:
- Grow community forests that focus on community responsibility, ownership and pride.
- Engage multiple sectors of society.
- Focus on empowering women and redressing gender equality.
- Do not have huge corporate support - but that passes our due diligence process.